Saturday, January 31, 2009

Put your oxygen mask on first

For any of you who have done any amount of flying, you've heard it over and over --- if you're sitting next to a person who needs help in case of emergency, put your oxygen mask on first, then help them. It's counter-intuitive for those of us who like to think of others first. But you're of no help to the other person if you're struggling too.

I turn 37 on Monday. No real emergency - just a little twinge of panic. Am I really THIS close to turning 40?

Panic turned to action. I took a little time this past week to do some things for me. I got new contacts, had some dental work and got my hair done. All in all, a pretty small investment because everything but my hair was covered under insurance - and my folks gave me a check for my birthday that covered that. But at the end of the day (yes, I was insane enough to do this in one day), I feel like a new woman.

I feel confident in myself and better than I have in quite some time. Sure, these are superficial changes, but I'm amazed at what's it done for how I feel --- and how this confidence translates to how I have related to people in the past 24 hours. I can now brighten a stranger's day with a kind smile because I feel good enough to do it. My oxygen mask is firmly in place now.

I'm looking forward to my 37th year. I realize it's my responsibility to make it all I can -- and I'm up to that challenge.

On a completely different note, go Cardinals! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment